108 Sun Salutations (Community Virtual Session): 20 December 2020
Also known as the Yoga Mala, traditionally, the 108 Sun Salutations is practiced during the change of the seasons. 21 December marks the Winter Solstice, which generally symbolizes death and rebirth – new beginnings and fresh starts. Hence, practicing the 108 Sun Salutations around that time shall represent the end of our tough and challenging 2020, as we welcome the birth of a new and hopeful year.
In celebration of OHMfinity Turns 1, we are pleased to bring to you this special community virtual session. Wherever you are around the world, let's come together and join our host of international yogis in this 108 Sun Salutations session as we end 2020 with renewed hope for a better 2021.
Date: 20 December 2020, Sunday
Time: 4pm Malaysia (GMT+8) | 8am UK (GMT) | 9am Italy, Hungary & Germany (GMT+1).
Click here to register. It's FREE to join. Invite as many friends to join in as possible.
Is 108 a magic number?
The number 108 is significant in many disciplines from astronomy to yoga.
- The number 108 appears in ancient & sacred texts. For example, there are 108 Upanishads and 108 Tantras
- In numerology, 108 equals 9, which symbolizes universal love, eternity and awakening
- In Ayurveda, there are 108 sacred points on the body
- In astronomy, the distance between the Sun and Earth is roughly 108 times the Sun’s diameter
- Mala bead necklaces have 108 beads, which are used to count during meditation
What you will learn about yourself when you do 108 Sun Salutations:
- You are stronger than you think! 108 sounds like a lot. Regardless, you will be surprised at your strength and how many rounds you can do.
- You have the power to release negative energy! Sun Salutations activate negative energy that’s trapped in your body, help you move through it, and ultimately let go of things that no longer serve you.
- You have the power to transform your entire outlook! Focussing on positivity, accomplishing 108 Sun Salutations will boost your overall confidence!
- You will find grounding and inner drive! The repetition of the Sun Salutations will provide a sense of meditation which helps you to be grounded. You may learn what inspires you to flow and draw out your inner drive.
- You will feel energised! Once you complete your Sun Salutations, you will feel a surge of energy because they activate your Prana (energy flow) in your body.